My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, DC-ish

30+10+n years, mother of three, wife of one, enjoying a life completely unlike, and better than, the one for which she prepared herself...

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Baby CableSocks

Artyarn Merino, Baby Cable socks (Charlene Schurch)

I've been knitting like a maniac on these socks (this sock, I suppose). I'm loving it. I can't wait to finish.








My nicely composed report on progress just evaporated and I'm annoyed so for now I'll just post the progress shot and say goodnight. I'll have the heel turned in time to knit with the new group tomorrow and pick up pointers!



About six weeks ago, Anna's soccer team was practicing in a common green space in front of the coaches' house. It was a beautiful not-summer-not-fall evening so the whole family went. As I sat watching, but mostly knitting, a neighbor approached and asked about my project (it was the Koigu Ballet Cashmere that I can scarcely make myself take off) . I had been told by the coach's wife that her neighbor was an amazing knitter so I was more than pleased she stopped by.

We had a great chat and exchanged emails. She's invited me to join her group of knit friends who gather about once per week during the cold months to knit and compare projects. It sounded great but I've been very busy. A couple of days ago I replied to one of her distributions commenting on a really great felted wool bag she'd made. It led to a whole big discussion of projects and my commenting on my frustration, need to get beyond it, with socks. She's an ace-sock knitter, as well (wouldn't you know it...) and has offered to spend time with me on my problem areas.

So it is that for the time being I have cast aside (you see the pun?) my Lara in favor of getting some socks to the point where I need help. This is ArtYarns Ultramerino in a beautiful almost-watermelonish colorway. More subdued though. And those are US 4 Lantern Moon DPN's---heavenly to knit on. I'm going to use a four-stitch slip cable pattern. It should be delicate and nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home